By D. Lynn Loriaux
Establishing endocrinology as a different scientific strong point used to be no effortless job. This enticing quantity chronicles the adventure during the tales of the lads –and occasional women—who formed the distinctiveness during the ages.
In 108 short chapters, A Biographical historical past of Endocrinology illuminates the development of endocrinology from Hippocrates to the fashionable day. the writer highlights vital leaders and their contributions to the sphere, together with those early pioneers:
- Kos and Alexandria, and the 1st human anatomy
- Bartolomeo Eustachi and the adrenal gland
- Richard decrease and the pituitary gland
- Thomas Addison and adrenal insufficiency
- Franz Leydig and testosterone secreting cells
- Wiliam Stewart Halsted and surgical procedure of the thyroid gland
- John J. Abel and isolation of hormones
- Hakaru Hashimoto and his disease
Covering all of the watershed moments within the historical past of the career, the publication identifies key figures whose contributions stay appropriate this present day. Their interesting tales of experiments and experiences, advocacy and adversity, and exploring unknown territory will encourage the subsequent new release of endocrinologists and fulfill each clinician who ever puzzled "how did we get here?"
This entire but concise biographical background of endocrinology will profit not just training and potential endocrinologists, but additionally different clinical experts and scientific historians.
Read or Download A Biographical History of Endocrinology (Wiley-Endocrine Society) PDF
Best basic medical science books
This ebook offers a finished assessment of nuclear cardiology rules and ideas essential to move the Nuclear Cardiology expertise uniqueness exam. The perform questions are related in layout and content material to these discovered at the Nuclear medication expertise Certification Board (NMTCB) and American Registry of Radiological Technologists (ARRT) examinations, permitting try out takers to maximise their possibilities of good fortune.
Transesophageal Echocardiography for Congenital middle ailment represents a different contribution because the purely modern connection with concentration solely at the medical purposes of transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) in congenital middle ailment (CHD). Written through a variety of renowned experts and well known leaders within the box, it provides a finished, sleek, and built-in assessment of the topic in mild of the cumulative event and newest advances within the expertise.
With an abundance of case experiences from Jackson Memorial health center, this reference presents specialist counsel at the overview and therapy of reduce extremity orthopedic accidents. examining the functionality and interrelationships of the muscular and skeletal platforms of the reduce extremities, this resource discloses key ideas in trauma administration, decision-making, tender tissue fix, tissue engineering, wound therapeutic, and burn reconstruction.
This publication bargains a entire review of medullary thyroid carcinoma, either within the extra universal sporadic shape and within the familial shape, a number of endocrine neoplasia (MEN) forms 2A and 2B. The assurance contains, yet isn't constrained to, molecular biology and genetics, pathology, scientific presentation, imaging strategies, surgical procedure, and follow-up.
- Postnatal Development of the Human Hippocampal Formation: 206 (Advances in Anatomy, Embryology and Cell Biology)
- Neurogenetics (What Do I Do Now)
- Textbook of Human Reproductive Genetics
- JIMD Reports - Case and Research Reports, 2012/1: 4
- PET/CT in Lymphomas: A Case-Based Atlas
- Transplantation and Changing Management of Organ Failure: Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Transplantation and Changing Management of ... (Transplantation and Clinical Immunology)
Additional info for A Biographical History of Endocrinology (Wiley-Endocrine Society)